Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Donation #5 - Food

As we start going into the fall months here in Western Washington there are many things that we begin to notice.

- The coloring of the leaves are going from green to red, orange or even a 'burnt umber' color.
- There is ALOT more rain.
- It's starting to get chilly.

With the drop in temperatures, and the recent torrents of rain, Washington is starting to get into it's 'wet season'. Which means that this weather is here to stay until late May to June.

Which then brings up the subject that I'm donating to today; Food.


Food is necessary for our survival, that much is true. But for many people food isn't readily available, which becomes an ever growing concern. Nationwide, worldwide hunger is a force that has each and every species in it's grip. Locally, Washington is the 15th hungriest state in the nation, and #1 in the northwest at a 15.4% in food insecurity.

Worldwide though nearly 870 million people live without enough food to eat. While severe malnutrition threatens the lives of 19 million children. Every year at least 3.5 million children die from malnutrition-related causes.

It's because of statistics like this I feel that those that are most vulnerable to hunger this time of year are in the greatest need of assistance. But it also reminds me of a time when I was in High School.

It was around Thanksgiving, and my school in Sedro was doing their yearly 'can-ival' a canned food drive to support local families that were affected by a flood earlier that year. I remember going through my families pantries trying to gather as many cans as possible. But it wasn't because of my giving nature, it was because we were having class competitions and I wanted to be #1. Because of my competitive nature I brought in 74 cans booming my class to #1 in the whole school. I cheered, and laughed as I remember dragging in 2 boxes, a milk crate, and a garbage bag of cans just so I can gloat.

I look back on that time with a little annoyance at myself, that I didn't see that time of year as an opportunity to spread some goodwill. But to instead inflate my own ego and win some tickets to dunk tank my schools vice principal.

Why I'm donating to these organizations now, are for completely different reasons then I had in the past.

Because food is important, and deep down inside I have a weakness for helping children. Even though I am scared of most of them, I do love kids and feel that they need the best opportunities to ensure and secure a future.



The organization that I'm donating to is Food Lifeline.

Food Lifeline is a Shoreline,WA group that provides food for over 745,000 people through their network of nearly 300 food banks, meal programs and shelters in Western Washington.  Last year they distributed more than 35 million pounds of food, enough food to equal more than 27 million meals.

But why Food Lifeline?

The answers are simple, this organization is cemented in over 17 counties in Washington alone, including some Skagit food banks that myself and my family know. They've created innovative solutions to help provide food that would otherwise be unsold in markets. Programs such as Seattle's TableGrocery Rescue, and Produce for the People. All programs that recover, and distributes donated food to food banks, providing much needed food for people.

Food Lifeline is also an affiliate with Feeding America a parent group that works with numerous other affiliates to ensure that hunger, as an issue is tackled effectively. By providing programs and services to all situations.

Food Lifeline is also a partner with The United Way of King County. A group that focuses on several key areas important to King county. Meeting people's basic needs, ending homelessness, bolstering human services and giving kids equal chances. The United Way is a group that I donate 50$ to every year 1/2 goes to homelessness and the other goes to keeping kids safe from abuse and neglect.

This is why I chose to donate to Food Lifeline. Because they're looking to ensure that those most vulnerable are given food. As well as ensuring that everyone is given the opportunity to have a nutritious meal.

Food Lifeline's Mission is:

To end hunger in Western Washington by engaging communities and mobilizing resources. 

Through Food Lifelines system they take donations, repack them into family sized portions, distribute, and then deliver. Thus ensuring that the 51% of adults, 35% of children and 14% of seniors get their much needed food.

There are many ways that you can help Food Lifeline. Here's a list of all the options available.

Online donating, any amount of money is good, Each dollar in donation provides a full day of meals for an individual.

Virtual food drive, It's actually as cool as it sounds. And you can buy large amounts of food to supply to a food bank.

- You can donate food to Food Lifelines food drives, or Events.

- If you live in the Western Washington area you can also Volunteer in several different areas. Either as volunteer groups or individuals.

- Or you can Advocate to ensure that hunger and these programs are in the forefront of most politicians minds.

With this group I will be donating 20$. Enough to ensure that 20 people can get food for a day. One person get food for 20 days, or 48 cans of fruit and vegetables to be distributed to families.

All in all, I implore people to become more involved with their communities. This includes either donating a small amount of money, or even your time. Each state in our nation is trying to fight the problems associated with hunger.

Especially in recent light of the Colorado floods, you can find wonderful and reliable charities on Charity Navigator. A site dedicated to ensuring that the charities you want to donate to are on the 'up and up.'

Which through this site, I learned about Food Lifeline and many other wonderful food suppliers in WA.

If you wish to donate to a food charity in your area, research through charity navigator. The higher the rating, the better the charity is.

So with the warm temps coming to an end, and the umbrellas coming out, I wish you all the best and I hope that we can all make the coming months better for others. For I know I'm donating my companies holiday turkey to a homeless shelter again. Also, because I don't know how to cook a turkey.

Much hope, to all mankind.

- <3 Amanda.

No comments:

Post a Comment