Friday, October 4, 2013

Donation #6 - Health

I'm sick, not like sick of the world or anything. Just the usual sick, scratchy throat, a gravely sounding voice, the sudden urge for hot soup and tea. The kind of sick that says, "Oh awesome, it's fall. Time to slowly cash in my sick time."

Luckily for me, with the help of dayquil, nyquil, and netflix I should be better before I have another shift on carts, hopefully.

But for many in this country and around the world they aren't as lucky to have these things available, netflix and all.

But since the recent government shutdown in this country over the Affordable Healthcare Act, I feel like with universal healthcare we're finally coming out of the dark ages of health reform. But I'm going to avoid this subject now, out of fear of a sparked debate.

In 2009 around 45 million people in America alone were labeled as uninsured, while 25 million were considered as under insured. In this country as well around 700,000 Americans are forced into bankruptcy because of medical bills. I know a lot of people who have fought cancer and won. I know plenty of people who slipped a disc, twisted their ankle and were injured far more seriously and ended up with mountains of debt.

Hell, I'm one of those people.

I have kidney stones at the tender age of 24. Five of them to be exact, I have constant kidney infections that run 2 to 3 times a year. Some so bad I become hospitalized. I was bit in the face by a dog when I was three, I've fallen out of several trees. I fell off a ladder and twisted my ankle, I've sprained my wrist, cut my leg open, sliced my fingers to the bone and through it all I'm wading through medical bills. But I'm determined to pay them off, because I know that I'm lucky to have two types of insurance covering my butt.

Which is more than I can say for most people.

In 2004, 1 billion people lacked access to health care systems.
Over 7.5 million children die every year from malnutrition.
33.4 million people live with HIV.
2 million people die from AIDS.
1.7 million people die from TB.
36 million people die from noncommunicable diseases like cancer, diabetes and cardiovascular disease.

Millions of people die every year from simple, vaccine treated diseases that aren't available in their country or their region. Which is why I feel that giving people a medical chance to improve their health is a fundamental human right.


The main group that I'm focusing on is Project HOPE.

Project HOPE, is a Virginia based group that helps people in over 120 countries get access to quality and sustainable healthcare. They help educate health professionals and community workers in strengthening health systems, and improving the health of women and children. They provide humanitarian assistance through donated medicines, supplies and volunteer medical help.

They provide a number of things, health system strengthening by training and mentoring community volunteers and health workers. As well as renovating health facilities and provide donations of pharmaceuticals and health equipment.

They provide humanitarian assistance and disaster relief as well. With the help of volunteer doctors and nurses that update the knowledge and skills of local providers as well as provide medical supplies.

They also cover infectious diseases, in providing treatments, research and awareness. Awareness and prevention of non-communicable diseases such as obesity and diabetes with mobile clinics, wellness programs and support in local clinics.

Project HOPE also women's and children's health. Teaching women and caregivers prenatal care, and to strengthen economically for women to facilitate paying for costs associated with health and well being of orphans and vulnerable children. They have also implemented 29 children survival projects since 1985. Which focuses on immunization, child nutrition and the treatment and prevention of pneumonia and diarrhea.


This group was first started by Dr. William B Walsh, and M.D. that served as a medical officer aboard a destroyer during WWII. When he saw poor health conditions in the South Pacific, health conditions that could've easily been remedied by simple medical knowledge.

In 1958 Dr. Walsh persuaded President Dwight D. Eisenhower to donate a U.S. Navy hospital ship the USS Consolation. With 150$ and lots of support the SS Hope came to light and Project HOPE was born.

In 1960 after two years of refitting the SS Hope set sail from San Francisco bound for Indonesia. The SS Hope completed 11 voyages to several countries before retiring in 1974. Although retired the spirit of the SS Hope lives on through Project HOPES partnership with the U.S. Navy.

Project HOPES mission:

Delivering health education, medicines, supplies and volunteers where needed.

Over the years Project HOPE has been known for their financial integrity and efficiency. More than 90% of money raised goes towards their health projects around the world. From administering vaccinations to raising awareness of cervical cancer. While less than 10% goes towards management and fundraising costs.

There are many ways you can help.

- You can Donate. Any amount you see fit.
- You can Give in other ways. Planned giving, stock, bequest.
-  You can Volunteer.
- You can Fundraise.
- Or you can Support a volunteer.

There are many things you can do when it comes to this group if interested. But for me, since I don't live in Virginia, a donation of 25$ is the best I can muster.

Which now leads me back to my great political debate that so many Americans are fighting about.

If I ended up being unemployed, over 26 and no longer covered by my insurance or my parents. I'd feel that I have the fundamental human right to have access to healthcare. Affordable healthcare, that I can turn up at an ER when I'm passing a kidney stone and can be covered. That if, heaven forbid I end up with kidney damage I will be able to get a transplant without fear of being turned down by my insurance company.

I want to have a chance to grow old, get married, have children, even grand children. Have a career in whatever I want, have a nice home, with wooden floors and a piano. Heaven forbid if I touch it. I want the advantage that healthcare can provide, for myself and someday for my family. I want all people to have a chance to have access to the healthcare that they deserve. I suppose in that sense I'm an idealist, or an optimist, thinking that health care is easy for everyone. But regardless, everyone has their opinions, whether you agree with me or not.

All I say is, is that we all deserve it.

With much hope for both our country and the rest of the world.

- Amanda.

No comments:

Post a Comment